When it comes to indoor air pollution, it is common that it has something to do with smog and fumes. Indoor pollution relates to the introduction of any harmful substance that depreciates indoor air quality in the air surrounding or within buildings.
Indoor air pollution occurs when harmful substances such as different gases, aerosols, smoke, fumes, or dust are present in the indoor area. The presence of these substances affects the health and comfort of the occupants.
Effects of indoor air pollution include respiratory problems and chronic illnesses such as cancer. Some overlooked causes of indoor air pollution include smoking in the house or cooking using coal or wood without proper aeration. Other causes of indoor air pollution include:
It is the leading agent of indoor air pollution. The majority of the materials used in automobiles and home constructions have asbestos. Materials such as paint, heating system, ceiling tiles, coating and fireproofing have asbestos.
Asbestos has microscopic fibers which have been linked to increased risk of contracting lung cancer. For these reasons, the United States has banned the use of asbestos.
It is a radioactive gas which is emitted as radium decays. It can be found beneath the house, in specific building materials or buildings within rock formations.
Therefore, radon can quickly get into the building and cause indoor air pollution. It leads to adverse health conditions such as premature deaths and an increase in the risk of getting lung cancer.
Smoke from the cigarette is a significant source of air pollution. Apart from the smoke, the active smoker inhales, the smoke he exhales affects other people around the room.
Second-hand smoke is associated with health risks coming from carbon monoxide. The smoke includes volatile as well as semi-volatile organic compositions which can cause or worsen already existing respiratory conditions.
Cooking And Heating Utensils
Heating and cooking appliances such as fireplaces, heaters, stoves, and chimneys are in a position to produce carbon monoxide, which in turn causes fatigue, headaches, and dizziness. In case ventilation is poor, it may result in death.
Gas stoves may emit nitrogen dioxide, which can cause inflammation of the eyes, nose, and throat. At the worst, it may cause respiratory problems.